Monday, July 30, 2012

Night Out

More and more communities are hosting official Night Out events. They pick a day in August and declare ownership of the streets, inviting wholesome families to leave their homes and join in the festivities, which include children's games, music, good conversation and a few cops scattered about.
I'm not sure how this battles crime. I can't imagine gangs like the Crips and Bloods shivering in fear watching all this. Lifetime hoodlums probably won't turn in their weapons after observing kids creating chalk drawings in the street and adults trying to throw down dance moves.
I don't know whose idea this was. Hoboken seems to have been the first town to try it. Hoboken is the same place that does everything possible to keep out of towners out by its prohibitive parking regulations. My question is what happens after this Night Out is concluded? Do the same people then stay inside the rest of the year? Do civilians, pumped up with pride, patrol the streets with bats and brass knuckles seeking out suspicious types? What happens to all those cute chalk scribblings? Who owns them?
I have minimal fear walking the streets. I carry little money, my watch is worth $10, I wear no rings or jewelry, keep my head down and do not make eye contact. And I certainly don't try to dance in public.
I hope I never have to throw a punch, especially with two bad shoulders. Frankly, I don't want ownership of any street. I have enough trouble maintaining my garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment