Friday, March 23, 2012

Blossom Betrayal

The cherry blossoms are out weeks too soon for the Branch Brook Park and Brooklyn Botanical Gardens Festivals. Think about what that means. By the time thousands of families trek over there all they'll see are bare trees and crumpled, dead blossoms just lying still like exhausted Target shoppers. Children will break into tears; adults will curse under their breath. Cherry blossoms mean spring is here. Youth and innocence are reborn. The sound of baseball hitting leather. Longer days, melting ice cream. Slurpies.
I don't want explanations about how a warm winter is responsible. I want one giant, aromatic blossom in my hand. I'll tell you what else I want--Macy's Petacular. This event coincides with their flower show. It's a fun day of beauty and imagination. People dress their pets in all sorts of costumes while judges decide which pet will win first prize. It's like living in Nebraska for a day. Well, so far there have been no ads or indication Macy's will hold this event this year, just like what happened two years ago when hundreds showed up with elaborately dressed pets only to find no stage or judges.
I also hear that it will rain Sunday, meaning the Greek Independence Parade will be soaking mess. But those Greeks will persevere. Will I go? Of course. Something strange might happen and I'll have another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment