Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Bin

I'm afraid of my vegetable bin. I haven't opened it in weeks because I have a full, rich life. I know exactly what's in there. A bag of mixed salad, two cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, possibly a carrot. Carrots don't worry me--they last forever. It's the other stuff. I'm hesitant to bend down and sniff. I know it won't be pleasant.
I do this all the time. Buy salad ingredients only to forget about them. I promise myself I will eat healthy as soon as the french fries run out. The french fries never run out.
Celery will get brown and soft. Tomatoes will develop black spots. The bag of salad will end up being dark, squishy lettuce. But it's the cucumbers that really frighten me. Cucumbers have an edible life span of about six hours.Tops. Have you ever examined a rotten cucumber, dripping slime as you carefully place it in a cellophane bag specially created by NASA to keep out space viruses? Well I have and it's not something you want to pass on to your kids.
One time I wasn't thinking and I tossed a bag of fresh oranges into my vegetable bin by mistake. Within seconds I could hear the screams from my bedroom. I raced into the kitchen, yanked open the bin and quickly rescued them. I was shaking all over.
I thought about hiring a professional cleaning and extermination team to come in and handle what's in my bin. What if they take photos and use them for blackmail? I really need to stay away from the salad aisle. Although that would leave me with half a bottle of Russian dressing and several million bacon bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment