Sunday, March 4, 2012

Under the Plastic

Plastic is strong and resilient, water proof. My booby traps are all plastic. My pet turtle has a plastic covering, as does much of my furniture. My wide screen TV has plastic traversing its screen to protect the plastic personalities I watch. I'm considering protecting my wires with plastic because squirrels cannot chew through it and cause cable outages.
My plastic Welcome mat tells you to enter, but do no harm. The plastic covered book shelves say why don't you browse, but do not steal any of the ideas therein. If I had a family I would strongly suggest they wear plastic outerwear so they will last longer without value decline.
One must do some work to get beneath my own protective covering. Yes, my outward persona is all intellect, logic, strategic caution, phony empathy, a willingness to just get along with everyone. But underneath my plastic covering I am a seething cauldron of passion, fiery opinions, and a somewhat unpleasant aroma. Plastic has no smell because ultimately it has no character.
Take your choice--either go with protection and safety or choose to be naked, forsaking plastic, opening yourself to bruising, both physical and emotional. My turtle had no choice in the matter, but if I could afford it, I'd cover it in cashmere.

No comments:

Post a Comment